Chicken Legs - The not-so-affectionate nickname of Marcy
Rhodes (Amanda Bearse), a bank employee and feminist next-door
neighbor to the Bundy family on the situation comedy MARRIED...WITH
CHILDREN/FOX/1987-97. When Al Bundy (Ed O'Neill), a frustrated shoe
salesman, wanted to drive Marcy from his home, he mocked her skinny
stature by using quips relating to a chicken, often calling her
"Chicken Legs." Once Al said "Look what's crossed the road. I can't
be a chicken, it hasn't got breasts...just nuggets."
During an argument, Marcy's husband Steve (David Garrison) told
his wife "You know why you have chicken legs? It's because your
mother eats all those eggs."
Al calls Marcy a "chicken" for the first time on episode No. 113
"Johnny Be Gone." The dialog follows: Marcy [looking round]: "Al, do
you see a fish eye anywhere round here?" Al [looking at her wearing
just a towel]: "No, but I see a chicken leg."
On episode No. 232 "Kiss of the Coffee Woman," Al puts together a
Top Ten List on Marcy of suggestions to approve her appearance. Two
of the ten are "chicken" references. The list reads:
- No. 10. Wear traditional Islamic garb covering all but the
- No. 9. Feather removing electrolysis;
- No. 8. Ski mask;
- No. 7. Sew up holes in ski mask;
- No. 6. Hire attractive woman to stand in front of you at all
- No. 5. Beak job;
- No. 4. Put paper bag over ski mask;
- No. 3. Shave head, tattoo Cindy Crawford's face on back of
head, and learn to walk backwards;
- No. 2. Poke out eyes of every man on Earth;
- No. 1. Get President to make every day Halloween.
TRIVIA NOTE: On the sitcom I LOVE
LUCY/CBS/1951-57 Lucy Ricardo (Lucille Ball) was called "Bird Legs"
in grade school.
Back to Top