Flying Tumbleweed Ranch - Run-down dude
ranch featured on the comedy/drama THE HARTS OF
This contemporary western followed the Hart family, a bunch of city
slickers who moved to Sholo, Nevada to
begin a new life as the owners of a broken-down
dude ranch called The Flying Tumbleweed, that even had a talking prairie dog
named Ralph (voiced by Frank Welker).
As the Harts settled into daily routine of
running a dude ranch, they encountered all sorts
of excitement, including:
- A sheep-shearing contest.
- Sholo's Frontier Days Ghost Run buckboard race.
- A rodeo clown (played by Mark Harmon).
- A countryside vacation that involved a mine-shaft accident, a
marauding bear, and tornadoes.
- Participation in a cattle drive.
- The rehabilitation a tough inner-city youth hired as a ranch
The Hart family consisted of:
- Beau Bridges as Dave Hart, a 41-year-old underwear salesman whose
heart attack made him rethink his priorities in life and so he
decided to realize his lifelong dream of being a
cowboy. Dave's love of
western novels and films inspired the names of his children.
- Harley Jane Kozak as Alison Hart, Dave's wife who reluctantly
supported their move out West. Alison once posed for a lingerie
- Meghann Haldeman as L'Amour Hart, Dave's teenage daughter who
was named after Louis L'Amour, the famous writer of the western
novels Hondo (1953), and How the West Was Won
- Sean Murray as Zane Grey Hart, Dave's teenage son who was
named for the writer of the western novels Riders of the
Purple Sage (1912), and Code of the West (1934).
- Nathan Watt as John Wayne "Duke" Hart, Dave's nine-year-old
son who shared a named with the western film actor from the
classic films Stagecoach (1939), and The Man
Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962). Duke loved the cowboy life
and often his mind was home on the range than his homework. Duke's
only stumbling block was his uncertainty with horses, but older brother Zane
took hold of the reins on that problem and showed Dave how to
Other folks in the Hart's life included:
- Diane Ladd as Nina, Alison's mom who visited the ranch.
- Lloyd Bridges as Jake Tyrell, a ex-convict who had
worked at the ranch years earlier. He dated Alison's mom when she
visited the ranch. Jake's hotheaded brother Zeke (Dale
Robertson) was a western romance writer.
- Stephen Root as R.O. Moon, the local sheriff who got
zapped by lightning and developed multiple personalities,
including that of Dave's late father.
- Saginaw Grant as Auggie Velasquez, a 60-year-old
Native-American Indian who ran the general store near the Flying
Tumbleweed Ranch. His wife was
buried on the Hart's property.
- Talisa Soto as Cassie Valesquez. Auggie's granddaughter
- O-Lan Jones as Rose McLaughlin, a waitress
- Sterling Macer Jr. as Marcus St. Cloud, an African
American lawyer who aspired to be a cowboy.
- Dennis Fimple as Garral whose beloved bovine Irene,
dropped dead while he was painting her portrait.
TRIVIA NOTE: The series was filmed in
Mayer in Yavapai County near Prescott, Arizona.
See also "Guestward
Back to Top