Wayne's World Talk - Segments of NBC's
SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE featured comedian Mike Myers and Dana Carvey as teenagers
Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar who hosted WAYNE'S WORLD, a Channel 10 cable
access program produced every Friday night at 10:30 P.M. from the basement of
Wayne's home in Aurora, Illinois.
Wayne and Garth were fond of saying "Excellent!", "Party Time, Excellent!",
"Party on Wayne", and "Party on Garth."
A typical conversation between Wayne and Garth discussing Claudia Schiffer's new
calendar might sound like this.
Wayne: "She's a babe."
Garth: "She's a mega-babe."
Wayne: "She's from Babe-alon. She's Babe-alonian."
Garth: "She's Babealicious...SWING!"
Other phrases in their vocabulary included:
- And monkeys might fly out of my butt! - meaning like "that" could
- Diddle liddle la, Diddle liddle la - phrase simulating a dissolve to a
dream sequence repeated quickly over and over while moving hands in the air as
if you were tracing the figure of a shapely woman
- Fished In - meaning that you took the bait-hook, line and singer. This
phrase was accompanied by placing your hands aside your head to simulate
flapping gills of a fish caught in the net
- He Shoots!, He Scores - to be successful or victorious
- I think I'm gonna hurl! - like that makes me sick, man. The phrase
Chunks" was also popular
- I'm not worthy! - a remark of humility used in the presence of greatness such as
being introduced to the rock group Aerosmith. Wayne and Garth fell prostrate to
the ground and bowed in appreciation at such a moment
- Not! - used at the end of a statement of fact to negate/refute it)
- Party On! - have a great time
- Shyeeeeaahh! RRiiiggghhhtt! - certainly, of course!
- Schwing!! - indicated a female was attractive. This word is accompanied by
a slight thrusting of the pelvis
- Take a Pill! - relax, unwind
- You're pail, You're bucket - you are bad, you are awful.
TRIVIA NOTE: Special mention goes to two of Waynespeak words. Swing! and Not!
According to an article in Entertainment Weekly "If all the teenage boys in the
United States SCHWUNG! at once, the Earth would tilt three degrees off its axis,
resulting in full global warming and causing untold ecological damage."
origin of Wayne's Not! response dates back to a 1978 SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE "Nerds"
sketch in which Steve Martin, as Chaz the Spaz, told Gilda Radner's Lisa Loopner,
"That's a fabulous science fair project...Not!"
Inspired by the "Not!" craze
blowhard John McLaughlin host of PBS's THE MCLAUGHLIN GROUP greeted panelist
Fred Barnes with a friendly "Welcome back, Fred...Not!"
The Wayne's World skits
spawned the motion pictures Wayne's World (1992) and Wayne's World 2 (1993).
Back to Top