The Sweeney - The police drama THE
SWEENEY/ITV/1975-78 starred John Thaw as
maverick British Detective Inspector Jack Regan, a foul-mouthed,
unorthodox leader of an elite team of Scotland
Yard detectives called "the Flying Squad"
Metropolitan police's elite armed-robbery unit (called 'the Sweeney' from the Cockney rhyming
slang 'Sweeney Todd' = 'Flying Squad').
Others dealing with the Flying Squad included:
- Dennis Waterman as Det. Sgt. George Carter
- Tony Allen as Bill the Driver
- Garfield Morgan as Det. Chief Insp. Frank
- John Alkin as DS Tom Daniels
- Martin Read as DC Jimmy Thorpe
- Morris Perry as Det. Chief Supt. Maynon
- Benjamin Whitrow as Det. Chief Supt.
- James Warrior as Det. Con. Jellyneck
- John Flanagan as DS Matt Mathews
- Nick Brimble as Det. Con. Gerry Burtonshaw
- Stuart Wilson as DI Ken Knowles
- Nicholas McArdle as Inspector Wilson
During the run of the series, it was
difficult to tell the cops from the criminals as
both groups resorted to womanizing, heavy
drinking, and physical abuse. If necessary,
Inspector Regan and his cop cronies were not
above threatening or beating up a suspect to get
The series THE SWEENEY, was created by Ian
Kennedy-Martin and produced by Ted Childs for
Euston Films (a Thames Television subsidiary).
It was a spin-off of the successful 1974 TV
Spin-off of the TV series
Back to Top