WKRP Fountain -
Historic fountain and statue featured in the
opening of the sitcom WKRP IN
Fountain in Cincinnati
The 43-foot statue is the focal point of the
Tyler Davidson Fountain located in the center of
downtown Cincinnati, Ohio.
The fountain was
commissioned in 1871 by Henry Probasco to honor
Tyler Davidson, his former partner in a hardware
business. The statue depicts a female ("Genius
of Water") standing
on a pedestal in the middle of the fountain with
water trickling from her downcast fingers.
Based on the design by August von Kreling
discovered at the Royal Bronze Foundry of
Bavaria in Germany, the Tyler Davidson fountain
was cast with 24 tons of bronze from cannons
purchased from the Danish government.
Base of the Tyler
Davidson Fountain in Cincinnati
The foundation consists of tons of polished
Bavarian porphyry stone. The top of the fountain
features the imagery of the Genius of Water,
surrounded below by other large figures
depicting the uses and benefits of water
including steam, water power, navigation,
fisheries, the pleasures water gives us and the
needs water fills in society.
At each corner of the fountain there are four
drinking fountains designed by Colonel Ferdinand
Von Miller that depict children playing with
water animals (a dolphin, duck, a snake, and a
To create a site for the Tyler Davidson
Fountain, the City Council of Cincinnati raised
the Fifth Street Market Square on February 4,
1870 to prepare the ground for materials that
were to arrive from Bavaria.
In the 1960s, the fountain was relocated a short
distance north from the middle of Fifth Street
for a new Fountain Square project.
Back to Top