Lloyd Bridges as
William Colton, a battle-weary ex-Union cavalry officer wandering the Old West in
search of adventure in the days following the Civil War.
"In the aftermath of the bloodletting called the Civil War,
thousands of rootless, restless, searching men traveled west. Such a
man was William Colton. Like the others, he carried a blanket roll,
a proficient gun, and a dedication to a new chapter in American
history...the opening of the West."
Hoping to find a place he can call home, Colton hits the trail and tries
to put the war behind him. As he said, he hopes "to get the cannon smoke out of
my eyes, the noise out of my ears...maybe some of the pictures out
of my head."
Along the journey, Colton came upon a variety of people. He helped those
he could and those who threatened him were met with equal and deadly
force, if required.
When a drunkard taunts an aging confederate veteran a short time
after the war ended, Colton steps in to help. But when his loyalty
is challenged, he angrily replied "I don't owe any allegiance to
that flag either. But too many good men died for it to let me sit by
and see it get desecrated by a little loudmouth who had no hand in
bringing it down."
During his many adventures, Colton:
- Protects a peace-loving minster form a hoodlum
- Helps a mute veteran cope with his memories of the war
- Defends an Indian woman from prejudice
- Takes a job as deputy in a sleepy Montana town
- Meets a black veteran who finds his father lynched by bigots
- Takes on a con artist who stole money from an immigrant
- Performs an emergency appendectomy on a young gunfighter
- Joins a posse to hunt down a recluse
- Escorts an Army deserter back to the fort.
- Sees a man killed and then gets targeted by an assassin.
- Is deputized to protect a preacher from an ex-convict
- Kills an Army officer he thought was an intruder
- Is shot and left for dead during a stagecoach robbery
- Gets accused of killing a sheriff
- Is deputized to protect a group of reformed criminals
- Joins a posse to find the men who destroyed a town
- Fends off a dance hall girl who mistakes him for her
Listen to Theme Music
Obituaries: Lloyd Bridges: 03/10/1998
Back to Top