|The Oregon Trail
Set in 1842, this was the story of the
Illinois family who trekked west by wagon train
to find a new home in Oregon.
Members of the wagon train included:
- Rod Taylor as Evan Thorpe, a widower
- Andrew Stevens as Andrew Thorpe, the 17-year-old son.
- Tony Becker as William Thorpe, the 12-year-old son.
- Gina Mari as Rachael Thorpe, the 7-year-old
- Darleen Carr as Margaret Devlin, a wagon train
- Charles Napier as Luther Sprague, a gruff frontier scout hired
by Thorpe to get the wagon train to the Northwest.
The Thorpe Family
with Luther Sprague the Scout
Along the way, the Thorpes and the other
passengers on the westward bound wagon train
encountered many hardships and strangers,
- A group of alleged mail order brides who turnout to be
showgirls looking for a new life. Hanna Morgan, the leader of the
girls cared for Evan's daughter when she got cholera.
- Gun runners who supplied rifles to the Indians.
- Making the mistake of entering sacred Indian burial grounds
- Caring for an injured man who turns out to be a deserter
- Searching for new sources of water for the wagon train
passengers, their horses and livestock.
- A stranger accused of murdering a member of the wagon train.
Evan Thorpe takes up the man's case and cause.
TRIVIA NOTE: Only six of the thirteen
produced episodes were aired before the series
was cancelled. A TV movie pilot preceded
the series in 1976 in which Blair Brown played
Jessica, Evan's wife.
Scenes from the series were used as
flashback footage on the episode "Birthday" on
Rod Taylor's 1986 CBS western series
OUTLAWS. See also
Back to Top