|Pistols 'n' Petticoats
|1966 - 1967
Set in the 1870s town of Wretched, Colorado,
this was the story of the gun-toting Hanks
family who live on the outskirts of town.
All of the members of the Hanks family are
crack shots and a threat to any outlaw that
might cross their paths. If an outlaw was smart
, they'd skirt the Hank's property rather
that face the wrath of this feisty frontier
family. After all, how are you gonna maintain a
reputation as a notorious gunslinger when even
the Hank's grandparents could take down the
fastest guns around.
Although the town of Wretched had a lawman,
namely Sheriff Harold Sikes (Gary Vinson), he
was an inept bumbler. He tries to enforce
town laws like changing 50 cents for littering
and no shooting on Sunday but he was such a wimp
that nobody respected his authority.
When Harold couldn't maintain the peace, the
Hank's stepped into clean up the town. And the
town of Wretched and the surrounding territories
were filled with all sorts of outlaws, greedy
land barons and hostile Indians on the verge of
going on the warpath. But, no matter, the Hanks
were ready to take on all comers.
The Hanks Family
Members of the Hank's clan included:
- Ann Sheridan as Henrietta, an attractive widow
nicknamed "Hank" who is a crack shot. She can "hit a coyote on the
- Douglas Fowley as Grandpa Andrew, Henrietta's father,
an ex-Union soldier who carries his army issued rifle with him at
all times. His aging eyes now need glasses to shoot straight.
- Ruth McDevitt as Grandma Effi, who reportedly "was
best at shooting buttons off of rustler's vests."
- Carole Wells as Lucy, Henrietta's city-bred daughter
who like the rest of the family is an expert shot. She keeps a
gun in her garter belt. Miss Lucy is in love with Harold the town
- Bowser, the Hank's pet wolf.
- Molly, the Hank's family mule.
Henrietta, Grandma and Grandpa in town
Lucy Hanks and Sheriff Harold Sikes
Other folks in the area included:
- Stanley Adams as Jed Timmons, a crooked lawyer.
- Robert Lowery as Buss Courtney, a land baron who covets the Hank's property.
- Leo Gordon as Cyrus Breech, a gun smuggler.
- Eleanor Audley as Mrs. Teasley.
- Gil Lamb as the town drunk.
- Pat Buttram as Jake Turner.
- Judy Canova as Daisy Frogg.
- Bill Oberlin as a saloon regular.
- Lon Chaney Jr. as Chief Eagle Shadow, a Kiowa Indian.
- Marc Cavell as Gray Hawk , Eagle Shadow's son
- Alex Henteloff as Little Bear, Great Bear's son.
- Jay Silverheels as Great Bear, Chief of the Atona
- Foster Hood as Floating Cloud
Theme Song Lyrics
(by George Tibbles & Jack
Here's the legend about the Hanks in Pistols 'n'
Henrietta can fire a gun with one hand milkin' the goat.
And hit a coyote on the run in Pistols
The story goes that grandma was best
At shootin' buttons off a rustler's vest.
Shootin' buttons off a rustler's vest.
Grandpa kept his gun in trim,
Nobody messed around with him.
Nobody messed around with him.
From Bristol to Terra Haute.
Every gun in the west would run
From Pistols 'n' Petticoats.
That's the legend about the Hanks
Just the way she was wrote.
They kept busy protecting banks in Pistols 'n' Petticoats
Screen Captures - Series
Obituaries: Ruth McDevitt: 05/27/1976; Douglas
Fowley: 05/21/1998; Gary Vinson: 10/15/1984; Ann
Back to Top