|1959 - 1960
Joel McCrea starred as Marshal Mike Dunbar
who maintained law and order in Wichita Town, an 1870s
Kansas Territory community.
Before his stint as Marshal of Wichita Town,
Mike Dunbar was a cattle trail boss. It was only
after the town's marshal quit after a band of
rowdy cowboys terrorized the town and killed a
boy that Mike decided to step in and reestablish
justice in the frontier community.
Other citizens of Wichita Town included:
- Jody McCrea as Deputy Ben Matheson, the foreman of the
nearby Circle J Ranch.
- Carlos Romero as Deputy Rico Rodriguez, a reformed
Mexican gunfighter. He originally came to town to investigate the
shooting of his nephew Manuel whom Dunbar had befriended.
- Robert Foulk as Joe Kingston, the saloon bartender.
- George Neise as Dr. Nat Wyndha, Wichita's first
- Robert Anderson as Aeneas MacLinahan, the blacksmith.
- Frank Ferguson as Mayor Eric Holbein
- James Coburn as Fletcher
- Cliff Fields as Fields
- John McIntire as Frank Matheson, Ben's father who had
deserted his family 12 years earlier.
- John Pickard as Bain
- Charles Seel as Charlie Cruter
- Dave Willock as Quincy
- Suzanne Lloyd as Laura
- Anthony Caruso as Zitto Vizzini, a watchmaker who was
pressured by Sicilian mobsters to pay them tribute.
- Gene Evans as Otis Stockett, who came to Wichita
looking for a teaching position.
TRIVIA NOTE: Produced by Mirisch-McCrea
Productions, the 26-episode series was based on
the western film Wichita (1955) starring
Joel McCrea as Wyatt Earp.
Jody McCrea who played Ben Matheson was Joel
McCrea's son in real life.
Obituaries: Joel McCrea: 10/20/1990;
Back to Top