MGM Lion - MGM's trademark lion mascot
(a.k.a. "Leo") is seen at the beginning of every MGM feature film.
Leo first roared July 31, 1928 for the debut of the movie White
Shadows of the South Seas. The roar was heard via a phonograph
record since it was a silent movie.
The MGM lion logo was created in 1916 for the Goldwyn Pictures
Corporation by advertising executive Howard Dietz. The logo was
based on the Columbia University fight song Roar, Lion, Roar. In 1924, when Goldwyn merged with Metro and
Louis B. Mayer, the lion logo became the trademark for the new
Over the years a number of lions have portrayed Leo,
including Slats, Jackie and Tanner. Around the circle that framed
Leo the Lion in the beginning of each film, the MGM motto "Ars
Gratia Artis" (Art for Art's Sake) is displayed. The history of the
MGM Studios was chronicled in the video When the Lion Roars (1991).
TRIVIA NOTE: The Mary Tyler Moore MTM productions parodied the
MGM lion logo by using a sweet little kitty cat meowing at the end
of each of their show's. Leo the lion was also the name of the
simple hand puppet with wide eyes and spiky whiskers used as
commercial spokesperson for the Lyons Moving & Storage Company in
the 1950s. Leo wore a moving man's uniform with bow-tie and a hat
reading Lyons. See also -
Mimsey the Cat
Back to Top