St. Gregory Hotel - Luxurious hotel on the drama
HOTEL/ABC/1983-88. Located in San Francisco, the St. Gregory Hotel featured
large open lobbies, beautiful marble columns and a variety of expensive
The management and staff at this prestigious hotel included:
- Anne Baxter as Victoria Cabot, a wealthy woman who oversaw the hotel's
operation for her sister, Laura Trent (Betty Davis-seen only in the first
- Efrem Zimbalist, Jr as Charles Cabot, Ralph Bellamy as Jake Cabot and Dina
Merrill as Jessica Cabot owned the other half of the hotel.
- James Brolin as Peter McDermott, the hotel's handsome general manager (who
later purchased controlling interest in the hotel)
- Connie Sellecca as Christine Francis, his beautiful assistant who fell in
love with Peter later in the series.
- Shea Farrell as Mark Danning, the hotel's public relations officer
- Nathan Cook as Billy Griffin, the hotel security director
- Shari Belafonte-Harper as Julie Gillette, information center hostess
- Michael Spound as Dave Kendall, the bellhop and his wife
- Heidi Bohay as Megan Kendall, a desk clerk and Dave's wife
- Harry George Phillips as Harry the bartender
Hotel Execs Peter Mc Dermott and Christine Francis
TRIVIA NOTE: The series was based on Arthur
Halley's best-selling novel "Hotel."
The real hotel that served as
model for the ABC series (a sort of LOVE BOAT on land) was the Plush Fairmont
Hotel at 950 Mason Street (on Nob Hill) in San Francisco, California. The hotel
was originally built in 1902 by Herman Oelrichs. It was damaged in the
earthquake of April 18, 1906 and reopened April 18, 1907
Exterior scenes of the Fairmont were used for establishing shots for the
series and a large replica of the Hotel's plush lobby was recreated for shooting
Some notable Fairmont moments:
- The United Nations charter was written there.
- Rocker Mick Jagger partied in their penthouse
- Tony Bennett premiered "I Left My Heart in San Francisco''
- Nine US Presidents beginning with William Howard Taft as well British
Prime Minster Tony Blair have stayed at the Fairmont.
Back to Top