Jeanette Nolan starred as Sally Fergus, a
crusty old junk collector traveling west in a wagon pulled
by a mule named Worthless. Dack Rambo costarred
as Cyrus Pike, a young ex-gunfighter who
reluctantly accompanied her along the way. Sally
considers Cyrus, the son she never had.
When Sally wasn't drinking liquor, cussing or
chawing on tobacco, she was meddling into the
lives of the people she met along the road to
California where she hoped to pan for gold.
On their way to California, Sally & Pike have these adventures:
- Sally helps out a pig farmer in need.
- Sally comes across a bunch of orphaned
children who are running a farm on their own.
- Sally encounters a drunken Army sergeant
who was recently forced to retire from the
- Sally meets an escaped prisoner who
desires desperately to to get back to
his pregnant wife.
- Pike helps a damsel in distress and gets
dissed for his troubles.
- Sally get kicked out of men's-only saloon
and is she pissed.
- Sally meets an old blind lady who waits
for the day her grandson will return from the
- Sally helps a preacher fulfill his life's
goals before he dies.
- Sally turns an boisterous farm girl into a
- Pike's about to hanged as a horse thief,
and Sally must prove he's innocent.
- Pike decides to become an actor and appear
- Posing as the mother of Billy the Kid,
Sally beats a bunch of gamblers at their own
Dirty Sally &
Worthless the Mule
TRIVIA NOTE: The series was a
spin-off of the western series GUNSMOKE/CBS/1955-1975 wherein
Jeanette Nolan first appeared as a
Dodge City denizen named Dirty Sally who lived
in the desert and made her living collecting
and selling bottles and other odd bits.
When she comes across Cyrus Pike, a wounded outlaw
who was shot by Festus for robbing the freight
office in Dodge, she cares for his injuries but
is later threatened by a gang who sought
Pike and the stolen loot from the robbery. He
snatched all the loot when his fellow outlaws
were going to leave him wounded and alone. (two
part episode "Pike" aired March 1&8 1971).
Before the debut of her series, Dirty Sally
appeared in a second episode of Gunsmoke
entitled "One for the Road" (January 24. 1972)
where she helps a wealthy man with a drinking
problem fight off relatives who want to take
control of his fortune.
Obituaries: Jeanette Nolan: 02/15/1998; Dack
Back to Top