|The Rough Riders
|1958 - 1959
Following the devastation of the war between
the states, two Union soldiers formed and
unlikely alliance with a Confederate officer as
they wandered westward across the
prairies, mountains, towns, deserts between the
Great Smokies and the High Sierras in search of
a new life.
"This is the story of three men who came to
known as the Rough Riders. Many years later and
half a continent away that name was to win
undying glory on the slopes of San Juan Hill.
But our story is the beginning of a legend.
Three men who came to be known in awe and
admiration as the Rough Riders." -- Opening
These rough riders included:
- Kent Taylor as Captain Jim Flagg, a
Union soldier. He comes from a long line of
no-nonsense military men.
- Peter Whitney as Sergeant Buck
Sinclair, a Union soldier. Despite his gruff
exterior, Buck is an easy-going sort. He is
- Jan Merlin as Lieutenant Cullen
Kirby, a Confederate officer. He holstered his
pistols backwards so he could cross-draw.
Kirby is the son of plantation owner and has a
cousin named Sam Hanks (Wendell Holmes) whom
he visits while traveling west.
On their way west, the Rough Riders:
- Protect a farmer and his daughter from a
band of raiders.
- Rescue a family of Maccabites from
- Intervene in a bloody feud between two
- Encounter a group of hooded vigilantes.
- Are attacked by a group of Union Army
- Bring down a gang of counterfeiters who
- Stop a gang from shanghaiing men for sea
- Get involved in a shootout over a land
- Help farmers victimized by a phony
- Volunteer to be the law in a frontier town
without a marshal.
- Track down a gang of outlaws who murdered
- Help a famous French singer held for
- Transport a women to a trial who can prove
a man innocent.
- Defy a rouge Confederate officer who uses
his loyal rebel troops to terrorize the local
- Discover a plot by William Quantrill to
kill President Johnson.
- Reveal the treachery of a Union Officer
who is keeping Confederate soldiers beyond
their sentence despite the fact the war is
over and surrender terms were signed at
- Learn of a plan to steal an army payroll,
- Intervene with a hostage negotiation when
outlaws kidnap the governor to exchange for
TRIVIA NOTE: The program closed with
this announcement: "Watch for our next story of
these three men whose every path crated
adventure--adventures destined to create the adventures of the Rough Riders."
Obituaries: Kent Taylor: 04/11/1987; Peter Whitney:
Back to Top