|Tales of Wells Fargo
|1957 - 1962
Dale Robertson starred as Agent James "Jim"
Whitcomb Hardie, a rugged troubleshooter for Wells Fargo, a gold
transport company based in the 1860s town of Gloribee near San Francisco.
Well Fargo used the Overland Stage Lines and
the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad to transport
its gold through the Old West and other parts of
Besides his responsibilities with Well Fargo,
Jim was a cattle rancher. He owned the Haymaker
Farm, located near Salt City.
Jim Hardie's friends and acquaintances included:
- Jack Ging as Beau McCloud, Jim's
- William Demarest as Jebediah "Jeb" Gaines,
Jim's foreman on the Haymaker Farm. He owned a
horse named Snowball. Jeb hated trespassers,
especially Mary Gee, the neighbor's daughter
who liked to ride her horse across his
- Virginia Christine as Widow Ovie, a
- Mary Jane Saunders as Mary Gee, the
widow's younger daughter. She had a crush on
- Lory Patrick as Tina, the widow's
- Steven Darrell as the town Sheriff
Working for Well Fargo, Jim encountered a
broad spectrum of frontier folk, including Army
deserters, homesteaders, rowdy cowpokes, Mexican
bandits, hostile Indians, Gypsies, outlaws like
Cole Younger, Tom Horn, Butch Cassidy and John
Hardin, and even a vengeful man who offered a
reward for Jim's death as punishment for a prior
Jim assignments took him to many place, including:
- Willow Creek - Accompanies a gold shipment.
- Aulder Gulch, Montana - Rids a town of outlaws.
- Moose Head, Canada - Identifies the body of an outlaw.
- California Gold Fields - Setups a new stage route.
- A Ghost town - Rescues two hostages from outlaws.
- Dry Creek, Colorado - Investigates a robbery, and the
murder of a close friend.
- Walking Mountain - Investigates reports of a gold
- Town of Madden - Finds saboteurs of Wells Fargo
- Wyoming - Recruits recently pardoned outlaw Butch
Cassidy to track down members of his Hole in the Wall Gang.
- Arizona - Investigates a 50,000 dollar
- New Mexico - Transports an outlaw to Santa Fe for
- Tubac, Arizona - Riding shotgun on a stage.
- Indian Territory - Negotiates with an Chief Pochalo
for permission to run Stagecoach lines through his lands.
- New Orleans - Jim's assistant, Beau McCloud thwart a robber's plan
to steal a package being transported by stagecoach.
When required, Jim went undercover on a case:
- In Texas, Jim poses as an outlaw to search for Sam Bass.
- In San Francisco, Jim poses as a seaman retrieve a Jade
- Jim poses as a prisoner to find stolen money.
- Jim poses as outlaw Jesse James to find a man who killed a
Wells Fargo agent.
- Jim goes undercover to find a gang of counterfeiters based in
a gambling hall in El Paso, Texas.
TRIVIA NOTE: The series pilot
"A Tale of Wells Fargo"
aired on SCHLITZ PLAYHOUSE OF STARS
(12/14/1956). The program expanded from
30 to 60 minutes in 1961. These episodes were
filmed in color.
Obituaries: Steven Darrell: 08/14/1970; William
Demarest: 12/28/1983; Virginia Christine: 07/24/1996;
Back to Top