Mick St. John -
Vampire turned private investigator on the occult series MOONLIGHT/CBS/2007-2008.
Alex O'Loughlin starred at Mick St. John, who had the misfortune of falling in love with a vampire. On his wedding night, his wife Coraline delivered a deadly bite that transformed him into one of the living dead.
Sixty years later, Mick, now ninety years old, still looks the same as he did on his wedding night. He fills his immortal days working as a private detective in the City of Angeles (Los Angeles). It's his way to use his special abilities for good.
Although Mick may feed on the likes of criminals and other no-goods, Mick's code of behavior rules out harming such innocents like children and women.
He satifies his thirst for blood with supplies provided by (as Mick says "I have a guy") a dealer and never really bites anyone unless they really aslk for it. Mick stores his blood in refrigerated test tubes and injects the life-giving serum via a needle directly into his arm. Instead of sleeping in the traditional coffin, Mick sleeps in a freezer.
Mick is not harmed by holy water nor garlic. He can't turn into a bat, but sunlight is bad. The longer he is in the sun, the worse he feels. But he won't burst into flames. According to Mick, a wooden stake won't kill a vampire, but a flamethrower or decapitation will do the job nicely.
"Most vampires don't have boundaries or rules, but I do . I don't hunt women. I don't hunt children. I don't hunt innocents. But there are predators out there who need to be dealt with."
Mick's friends and acquaintances included:
- Sophia Myles as Beth Turner, a reporter for BuzzWire, an Internet news service. She reported to Maureen Williams (Tami Roman) who was later killed by a vampire as a result of one of her investigations. Steve Balfour (Kevin Weisman) was Beth's friend and co-worker. Years earlier, Beth was kidnapped and then rescued by a mysterious stranger, who happened to be Mick. Now, she knows Mick is a vampire and is romantically drawn to him, but he hesitates to become involved - fearing the complications that might ensue. Unbeknownst to Beth, Mick had kept an eye on Beth over the years and tried to keep her safe. Their relationship began when Beth met Mick at the scene of murder investigation at 2:00AM in the morning in West Hollywood where the body of a dead woman in a fountain by the Design Center had bloody bite marks on her neck. Beth called her story "Vampire Slaying Rocks L.A." Before Beth became interested in Mick, she dated Josh Lindsey (Jordon Beli), an assistant district attorney. He was killed by the MS-13 gang. As he died, he pleaded with Mick to save him by making him a vampire, but Mick declined. Beth learned to late that Josh was planning to propose to her. After her boss Maureen was killed, Beth quit her job at BuzzWire and accepted a position as a civilian investigator for Benjamin Talbot (Eric Winter) the new assistant attorney who investigated Josh's murder. An anonymous source sent Talbot a list of vampires in the city - a list that included Mick. It was soon after that Mick, despite the inherent complications with the whole vampire-mortal thing, declared his love for Beth and they kissed.
- Jason Dohring as Josef Kostan, a successful Los Angeles busninessman. He is a 400-year old vampire ("going on thirty") and Mick's mentor. He has a host of delicious women ("Freshies" - those who willingly offer their blood to a vampire) at his beckon call. He calls the blood that Mick uses "Retail" and taunts him to try the good stuff in his house. When Jason heard about the Design Center murder he said, "It's a threat to our secrecy. What is this, the 1720s? We're descreet. We don't need bodies lying around, We have to be extra vigilant. We live in an age of fingerprint scans, DNA tests, Genome mapping....Your only ninety, you've never been chased by a torch bearing mob."
- Shannyn Sossamon as Coraline Duvall, the 300-year-old woman who sired Mick St. John. Coraline, who has a fleur de lis tattoo on her shoulder, was one of seven siblings of the royal French court who were vampires during the French Revolution. Another of them was Lance (David Merheb), who was now a weathly vampire. Mick thought Coraline had died more than twenty year earlier, but she showed up in Los Angeles using the name of Morgan. She also claimed to have been cured of her vampirism, a fact that intriqued Mick, who desired more that anything to end his immoral nightmare. The cure turned out to be temporary but for a time Mick was able to live life as a human. It was Coraline who had kidnapped Beth when she was a child. In his attempt to rescue Beth from Coraline's bloodlust, Mick set a house on fire, a fire that he thought had killed Coraline. When Beth discovered that Morgan was acutally Coraline, she impaled her in the heart with a wooden stake, but she survived. Then Coraline left town with Lance.
- Jacob Vargas as Guillermo Gasol, a vampire who works in a morgue so he has a ready supply of blood for himself and others of his kind. As Mick says "My guy in the morgue, Guillermo deals in information and blood. Sometimes, I need both." Mick likes 'A' Positive blood, but Guillermo believes that 'O' Positve has much better taste.
- Brian J. White as Lieutenant Carl Davis, one of Beth's contacts and Mick's friend.
- David Blue as Logan Griffen, a reclusive computer hacker. Like Mick, he's a vampire and helps Mick find information.
Back to Top