|1979 - 1980
The story of a West Virginia family who trekked
across the 1840s wilderness of early America
after a legal battle had taken their old home.
Searching for a new life, the family journeyed
to Fort Laramie, Wyoming and then
on to California.
Members of the Chisholm party included:
- Robert Preston as Hadley Chisholm, the family patriarch, a
hard-drinking, bible-quoting man (who made it to Wyoming by died
form an illness soon after the family set out for California).
- Rosemary Harris as Minerva Chisholm, Hadley's wife
- Ben Murphy as Will Chisholm, who later married an Indian maiden
after his wife died giving birth to his son.
- Sandra Griego/Victoria Racimo as Kewedinok, Will's Indian
- StaceyNelkin/Delta Burke as Bonnie Sue Chisholm, who had an
the illegitimate daughter fathered by Louisville gambler Lester
Hackett who later acted a a guide on their way west. (played
by Charles Frank and Reid Smith)
- Susan Swift as Annabel Chisholm, killed in an Indian attack.
- Glynnis O'Connor as Elizabeth Chisholm
- Brian Kerwin/Brett Cullen as Gideon Chisholm
- James Van Patten as Bo Chisholm
- Mitchell Ryan as Cooper Hawkins, the wagon train boss who lead
the Chisholms from Wyoming to California.
- Susan Swift as Mercy Hopwell, wagon train passenger
- Devon Ericson as Betsy O'Neal, wagon train passenger
- Guich Koock as Frank O'Neal, wagon train passenger
- Les Lannom as Jeremy O'Neal, wagon train passenger
- Frank Noel as McVeety, wagon train passenger
- Nick Ramos as Tehohane, wagon train passenger
- Donald Moffat as Enos, wagon train passenger
"The Chisholms. The frontier family of the west.
Plagued by hardship in their home of West
Virginia, they begin their cross country journey
to California. Starring Robert Preston as the
hard-drinking, bible quoting leader of his clan.
And Rosemary Harris who leaves all she's ever
known for a future of uncertainty. Ben Murphy as
the grieving Will, whose young wife died while
bearing his son. And Stacey Nelkin as the lusty
Bobby Sue, a young girl with the passions of a
woman. The Chisholms. Forging the pathway to the
American West." -- Narration from TV
The series was based on a four-part miniseries
originally aired in the spring of 1979. The
1980 series spinoff was short lived.
Back to Top