Set in 1876 (two weeks after Custer's defeat
at Little Big Horn), the series chronicles the
tales of the lawless town of Deadwood, South
Dakota, an illegal settlement in the Black Hills
Indian Cession and the center of one of the
richest gold strikes in American history.
The citizens of this rowdy frontier town consisted of :
- Timothy Olyphant as Seth Bullock, a former marshal turned
merchant and co-owner of Star and Bullock hardware store that supplies the local
prospectors with gold-digging equipment. He becomes the town
- John Hawkes as Sol Star, Seth's business partner.
- Ian McShane as Al Swearengen, the corrupt, ruthless owner of
the Gem Saloon who provides liquor and prostitutes to the town
- Powers Boothe as Cy Tolliver, a former riverboat gambler and
owner of the Belle Union, a rival saloon/brothel.
- Kim Dickens as Joanie Stubbs, the Belle Union Madame. She left
left Cy and opened her own whorehouse after he demanded that she
kill a child who was a thief.
- Alice Krige as Maddie, the Madame who replaced Joanie
- Brad Dourif as Doc Cochran, an honorable Civil War veteran who
tends the prostitutes at the Gem Saloon.
- Paula Malcomson as Trixie, Al's favorite prostitute
- Dayton Callie as Charlie Utter, friend and traveling companion
of Wild Bill Hickok. When Wild Bill died, he stayed in Deadwood
and opened a freight business.
- Timothy Omundson as Brom Garret who traveled from New
York City with his socialite wife, Alma (Molly Parker) to strike
it rich in Deadwood. After Brom died, she stayed and managed her
bequeathed gold mine.
- Keith Carradine as James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok, the
legendary gunslinger, lawman, frontiersman, army scout and
Wild West show entertainer for Buffalo Bill Cody. He was murdered
in Nutall's No. 10, shot from behind by Jack McCall. He dying
request was that Seth Bullock aid Alma Garret with her gold mine
- Brian Cox as Jack Langrishe, a flamboyant stage promoter who
converts the Chez Ami into a theater.
- Robin Weigert as Calamity Jane, legendary horsewoman, crack
shot and army scout.
- Leon Rippy as Tom Nuttall, the owner and bartender of
Deadwood's infamous No. 10 Saloon.
- William Sanderson as Eustace Bailey Farnum, the owner of the
Grand Central Hotel and default Mayor of Deadwood.
- Jim Beaver as Whitney Ellsworth, a gold prospector who tends
Alma's gold mine claim. He witnessed the murder of her husband.
- W. Earl Brown as Dan Dority, Al's enforcer and the killer of
Brom Garrett and Tim Driscoll, among others.
- Sean Bridgers as Johnny Burns, an ambitious young man who sees
Al as a mentor.
- Bree Seanna Wall as Sofia Metz, a traumatized little girl
saved by Bullock and Hickok from a pack of wolves. Her entire
family had been killed by road agents.
- Sarah Paulson as Miss Isringhausen, Sophie's tutor, who was
hired by Alma Garrett, her surrogate mother.
- Jeffrey Jones as A.W. Merrick, the editor (and reporter)
for the Pioneer, Deadwood's newspaper.
- Pasha D. Lychnikoff as Blazinov, the town telegraph operator.
He shares the office with A.W. Merrick.
- Titus Welliver as Silas Adams, former bagman for the
corrupt territorial magistrate, Clagett. Adams now works for Al Swearengen's operation.
- Peter Jason as Con Stapleton, the short-lived sheriff of
Deadwood who was deposed after he shot an innocent Chinese man.
- Anna Gunn as Martha Bullock, Seth Bullock's new bride who
learns about Seth's affair with widow Alma Garret. Martha was
Seth's brother's wife. When he died, Seth arranged to marry her
and adopt his eight-year-old nephew, William Bullock (Josh
- Larry Cedar as Leon, Al's opium addicted assistant and
eyes and ears about town.
- Geri Jewell as Jewel,a handicapped woman with a
wooden leg who sweeps the
floors at the Gem Saloon and suffers the abuse of its owner, Al Swearengen.
- Keone Young as Mr. Wu, the unofficial mayor of Deadwood. He
controls the opium trade, the Chinese workers and will dispose of
bodies for a fee (he feeds them to the pigs).
- Gerald McRaney as George Hearst a power-hungry mining magnate
and newcomer to Deadwood. He buys the Grand Central from Farnum
for $100,000 and plans to hire cheap Chinese laborers to run his
mines. He now owns all the claims to the surrounding mines, except
for Alma Garrets', who won't sell.
- Garret Dillahunt as Francis Wolcott, Hearst's business agent
who was sent ahead to buy up all the gold mine claims.
- Gale Harold as Wyatt Earp, legendary Dodge City and Wichita
Marshal who settles in Deadwood area. He shares a timber claim
with his hot-heated brother, Morgan (Austin Philips).
- Ashleigh Kizer as Dolly, Al's new girl at the Gem
The Denizens of Deadwood
The show's tagline reads: "Welcome to
Deadwood...a hell of a place to make your
Back to Top