Richard Taeger starred as Hondo Lane, an
ex-Confederate soldier who worked as a scout and
troubleshooter for the US Army in the Arizona
Territory of the 1870s.
At the end of the Civil War, Hondo
wandered West and fell in love with the
daughter of Chief Vitorro. Unfortunately, she
in a massacre conducted by the army.
In an effort to avert further bloodshed,
Hondo became a scout with the US Cavalry and
used his experiences with the Apaches to
maintain peaceful relations in the region.
Hondo's canine companion, Sam followed his
master wherever he roamed.
Sam the Dog
Listen to Theme Music
Hondo and his dog, Sam met many people on
their treks across the Southwest. They included:
- Gary Clarke as Capt. Richards,
stationed at Fort Lowell.
- William Bryant as Col. Crook
- James Beck as Sergeant Highton
- Ed McCready as Sergeant Hurst
- John Pickard as Lieutenant
- Willard Sage as Sgt. Able
- Gary Crosby as Sgt. Tim Bixby
- Forrest Tucker as Colonel William
Quantrill, Hondo's former commander in the War
between the States. (The actual William
Quantrill was killed in an Army ambush in
- Michael Pate as Chief Vittoro
- Iron Eyes Cody as Chief
- Tony Epper as Running Bear
- Noah Beery Jr. as Buffalo Baker, a
- Kathie Browne as Angie Dow, Hondo's
romantic interest wh originally lived in
- Buddy Foster as Johnny Dow, Angie's
- Ben Wright as Dr. Paul. the local
- Glenn Langan as Victor Tribolet
- Steven Marlo as Reese
- Stan Barrett as Del Harker
- William 'Billy' Benedict as Willie
- Jim Davis as Krantz
- John Smith as Ed Dow
- Nick Adams as Apache Kid, a
- Randy Boone as Sean
- James Chandler as Matt
- Jamie Farr as John-Choo
- Victor Lundin as Silva
- Michael Rennie as Tribolet
- Roy N. Sickner as Cox
- Robert Taylor as Gallagher
Here are some of Hondo's many adventures:
- Hondo helps when a Captain blames Indians
for a mine attack.
- Hondo meets the Apache Kid, a charming but
vicious outlaw who later escapes and
terrorizes a frontier couple.
- Hondo comes to the aid of his former
Confederate comrades, including Jesse James,
Frank James, Johnny Ringo, Jim and Cole
Younger, and Colonel William Quantrill, the leader
of the guerilla raiders.
- Hondo tries to raise a ransom for Angie
who is held hostage by the Commancheros.
- Hondo attempts to delivered sheep to
- Hondo intervenes to prove a soldier did
not kill a priest.
- Hondo races to save Sam from a dogfight
- Hondo cares for a sick newborn while
handling a bandit and a greedy Indian chief.
The series was based on the story Hondo
(1953) by Louis L'Amour and the movie adaptation
Hondo (1953) starring John Wayne.
Obituaries: Noah Berry, Jr.: 11/01/1994; Kathie
Browne: :04/08/2003; Michael Pate: 09/01/2008; William
Back to Top