Vocabulary accounts for 25% of your score in IELTS Writing and Speaking, and plays an extremely important role in Listening and Reading. Because of this importance of Vocabulary, today Wiki Study English will introduce you to a super quality book.
Vocabulary for IELTS book published by Collins Publishing
Help you improve your vocabulary quickly to prepare for the IELTS exam
Let’s find out the characteristics of this book with Wiki Study English below ^^
Part 1: Review Vocabulary for IELTS
★ Title: Vocabulary for IELTS
★ Author: Collins
★ Publisher: Collins English for Exams
★ Band points available: 5.0 – 5.5
★ Composition: PDF + Audio
★ Link to download the full set: at the end of this post
Vocabulary for IELTS includes topics and vocabulary skills suitable for all 4 skills tests: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. In each unit, you will follow a practical exercise modeled after the actual IELTS test. The activities in each lesson help you develop skills, vocabulary to solve problems. Key vocabulary and exam skills will be highlighted in the Exam Tips section.
The book is divided into 20 Units, corresponding to 20 different topics:
- The Topic in Units 1 – 9 will include the Vocabulary that often appears in the test, such as: Health, Education, People and relationships …
- The amount of Vocabulary in Units 11 – 19 will be used in general functions, such as problem description and solutions.
- Units 10 and 20 are review exercises. Lesson 10 helps you review Vocabulary and Skills learned in lessons 1-9, while lesson 20 reviews the knowledge learned in lessons 11-19.
- All 20 Units will help you develop skills such as: Paraphrasing, finding strange meanings in context.
The specific list of each article, you refer to below:
Unit 1: People and relationships
Unit 2: Health
Unit 3: Education
Unit 4: Adventure
Unit 5: Gadgets
Unit 6: Cities
Unit 7: The art of persuasion
Unit 8: Getting involved
Unit 9: Global warming
Unit 10: Revision 1
Unit 11: Words for describing graphs and diagrams
Unit 12: Words for describing change
Unit 13: Words expressing similarity and difference
Unit 14: Words describing cause and effect
Unit 15: Signposting expressions for writing
Unit 16: Adverbs
Unit 17: Words for problems and solutions
Unit 18: Words for talking about ideas
Unit 19: Emphasis and understatement
Unit 20: Revision 2
Next, Wiki Study English will go into details of each Units, including 3 parts:
Part 1: Vocabulary – Provides lessons-related vocabulary, definitions of these words, through the interpretation of each sentence and how to use the word in each specific context. Pronunciation and different forms of vocabulary.
Part 2: Practice exercises – Includes practice exercises, provides frequently used structures to help you improve your vocabulary, and memorize vocabulary better.
Part 3: Exam practice – Brings the best practice exams with the actual IELTS test format, giving you the opportunity to familiarize yourself with the types of questions you may encounter in the test.
Exam tips: Each post has an Exam Tips section and the exam strategy is framed for your easy reference
Audio script: The file is recorded by native speakers. The audio script at the end of the book will help you check the language used in the Listening – Speaking exercises.
Answer key: The lessons in the book have answers, including sample answers for Tasks
Collocations: The most common collocations for vocabulary in the article presented at the end of the book will enrich your vocabulary ^^.
Part 2: Guide to effective use of books
The book will help you increase your Band score quickly if you know the tips for using this effective book:
- The vocabulary section in part 1 of each unit will be very helpful for you when starting a lesson. After this section, do the exercises to prepare for the practice exercises at the end of the unit. Try to do homework for a limited time so you will become familiar with the actual test.
- To learn a new word, you need to review it many times. Each review will help you do that, but you should avoid writing your answers in the book so you can try again later.
- Wiki Study English also recommends having a vocabulary manual. Knowing a word and how to use it, you need to understand many aspects of it. The more information you record, the better it will be for you to study. Key definications, parties of speech, common collocations and sample sentences are all very helpful. Do not forget to use the collocations section at the end of the book.
- Getting full feedback for your writing and speaking will be an advantage for you. However, if you don’t get a comment on your assignment, you still need to do the full exercise. Studying sample answers can help you develop your ability to evaluate your work. If possible, record your own speech, and listen carefully. In particular, avoid memorizing sample lessons. Remember, on the actual test, it’s important to answer the question, not just Speak or Write about Topic.
- Finally, the final preparation step before the exam is, you can read the Exam tips again in the boxes, which will help you revise the strategies to successfully conquer the IELTS exam.
In order for you to study IELTS at home more effectively, Wiki Study English offers you more PDF + Audio books for you to study at home more effectively!
LINK DOWNLOAD THE FULL PDF + AUDIO SET: CLICK HERE