13. criticism(s) / objection(s) They didn’t raise any ____________ when we insisted on inspecting the figures. The government’s plan was met with severe ____________.
14. damage / injury / harm It was a severe ____________ which needed immediate hospital treatment. A lot of ____________ was caused to buildings along the coast during the storm. There’s no ____________ in taking a break from your job now and then.
15. discover / invent When did he ____________ the telephone? Did Alexander Fleming ____________ penicillin?
16. during / for / while Stores were closed ____________ the duration of the conflict. ____________ the transition from a dictatorship to democracy, the country experienced severe strikes and riots. The bomb went off ____________ the President was making his speech.
17. however / moreover The plan was good in theory. ____________, in practice it was extremely difficult to implement. The plan was excellent. ____________, it was clear from the beginning that it was going to be a success.
18. considerate / considerable He made a ____________ amount of money from his dotcom enterprise. She’s a very ____________ person, so she would never intentionally upset anyone.
19. intolerable / intolerant I consider his behavior to be quite ____________. The government is ____________ of other political parties.
20. job / work Everybody has the right to a decent ____________ with good pay. Following the recession, many people are still looking for ____________.
21. lay(s) / lie(s) The city of Quito ____________ near the equator. The manager made it clear he intended to ____________ down some strict rules.
22. look at / watch We must ____________ the situation in Lugumba carefully, and be prepared to act if violence flares again. We need to ____________ the problem carefully and decide if there is anything we can do about it.
23. permission / permit I’m afraid we can’t ____________ photography in here. They received ____________ to attend the sessions as long as they didn’t interrupt.
24. possibility / chance There is always the ____________ that the government will reverse its decision. If we act now, we have a good ____________ of finding a cure for the disease.
25. priceless / worthless ____________ paintings by artists like Van Gogh should not be in the hands of private collectors. As inflation spiraled out of control, paper money suddenly became ____________.
26. principal(s) / principle(s) Many people refuse to eat meat on ____________. The ____________ of the college is an ardent non-smoker. The country’s ____________ products are paper and wood. Not many people are familiar with the ____________ of nuclear physics.
27. process / procession The ____________ made its way down the avenue. Applying for a visa can be a long and frustrating ____________.
28. raise / rise As prices ____________, demand usually drops. In response to the current oil shortage, most airlines plan to ____________ their fares.
29. respectable / respectful The delegates listened in ____________ silence as the chairman spoke. They want to bring up their children in an area which is considered to be ____________.
30. treat / cure Hospitals are so understaffed that they find it almost impossible to ____________ patients with minor injuries. They were unable to ____________ the disease, and hundreds died as a result.
31. subjective / objective Your report should be as ____________ possible: just present the facts and try to avoid saying what you think about them. The newspaper article was extremely ____________: the journalist more or less forced his own views and ideas on his readership.
32. disinterested / uninterested In order to end the dispute, we need some impartial advice from a / an ____________ third party. I thought they would enjoy my talk, but they were completely ____________.
33. imply / infer From what you just said, can I ____________ that you think I’m interfering? I didn’t mean to ____________ that you were interfering. I merely said that I needed a bit of time to myself.
34. Complimentary / complementary In western societies, acupuncture and hypnosis are seen as ____________ medicines. All new students will receive a ____________ study pack and dictionary.